A few posts ago I had Ella's dance recital and then the Royal Wedding Extravaganza and had mentioned that before we went to Chino Hills Ella had a make-up dance lesson. She had that because she missed one of her classes. She was sick and we took her to the doctor. Now... that's nothing really, right? No. BUT... the reason we took her was because she had been sick for a while with congestion among other things, and I started noticing one day that she wasn't hearing very well... and then it got lots worse over the course of the next few days. So I had Damian help me do a coupe of experiments and he agreed that it was time to do something about it. She was literally deaf. We checked her ears, but at the time she didn't have an ear infection, so we were very concerned. She was not responding to us when we talked to her (obviously more than the normal Ella who just doesn't respond if you aren't saying something she particularly likes to hear), she was saying things like "turn it up, Mommy," and "say it louder, Mommy." YIKES! So I made an appointment and Damian actually took her and she completely FAILED the hearing test. However by the time she got to the doctors office she did have an ear infection and things were swollen in her ear, so the two doctors agreed together that before seeking the help of an audiologist that she should be treated with antibiotics for the infection and regular round-the-clock doses of Sudafed for the inflammation and congestion. We were advised to make a follow-up appointment for a month later.
Eek. Poor thing. She couldn't hear anything. So sad. And she was getting LOUDER and LOUDER when speaking, too. And that's really bad because Ella is very loud already.
So, Damian gave her a blessing with the help of one of our good friends, and from there things really started to improve. It literally took her a couple of weeks, but she was doing much better and by the time the month had passed she was back to normal. But we aired on the side of caution and headed back for our follow-up anyway... just to make sure that everything was as it should be. She PASSED the hearing test, and her ears look fine now! Yay!
I can't imagine what kind of permanent damage may have been if I hadn't paid attention to what was going on and just chalked it up to her 3 yr. old stubborn personality. How grateful I am for the simple whisperings of the Holy Ghost and the power of a priesthood blessing.
{This was during the course of beginning of April to middle of May.}
{This was during the course of beginning of April to middle of May.}
1 comment:
I am so grateful for the blessings of the priesthood. They tell us to not ignore the promptings. I am so glad everything is okay. I think poor little Ella inherited her Grandma Pam's loudness! Have a great day.
Love, Grandma Pam
Post a Comment