Saturday, August 18, 2012

Do You Know What Urticaria Is??

It's the not-so-common term for hives... basically!  One night way back in the beginning of APRIL we had taken showers after a full day of play and were hanging out on the couch as a family watching a movie.  We noticed that Braeden was a little itchy, but by the time the movie was over this is what we realized:  it was much MORE than a LITTLE itch.  Yikes!
Luckily, Damian was here, totally calm.  My poor little guy was just suffering and he looked just AWFUL, so I was really glad that Damian was here to just get some benedryl in him and then I rubbed him with some hydrocortisone cream.  And, luckily, most of it was gone by the morning.  MOST of it.  We had to continue a regimen of benedryl for the rest of the day and into the next, if I remember right.  :o(
{And you can't really tell by the pictures, but by the end of the night, his eyes were almost completely swollen shut.  So sad.}

I know... it's awful, right?  Honestly... if I'd been home alone, we would have been at the urgent care.  Oh, the things you get to learn as a mother.


You have to look hard to see it on his legs, but the majority of his thighs are just completely covered and raised...  not quite as red, but still very swollen.  There were only patches on the bottoms of his legs, both front and back.

Patches, but you can see on the right where the outline of the area on his thighs starts.  :'o(

Oh, it was sooo sad.  I just wanted to cry for him.  By the time this picture was taken, I think he realized that smiling wasn't necessary!

So, now I have the symptoms and visuals of urticaria under my belt.  On to the next set of trials and troubles, rashes and scrapes, highs and lows of everyday, ordinary life!

3 comments:

Gail said...

Not fun! Poor Braeden! Did you ever figure out what brought it on?

Linda Liebhardt said...

That's what I was going to ask--what triggered it? New soap or shampoo or something? detergent?

Tandy said...

We really don't know what triggered it. :'( But we think it may have been a wet trampoline. ?? No new soaps, detergents, no new nothing... not even food. Hasn't happened since. Strange.

About Me

Crazy, stay-at-home mother of three; Alexa, Braeden, and Ella, and wife of Damian! We love life, although sometimes it's just hard to make it through one simple day. We all love each other... more than we can usually show or tell, and we love our friends and family very much! We LOVE the beach, having company, eating out (a rare treat now with three kids 8 and under), swimming, and playing outside!

Background