I think that we bloggers spend a lot of time posting our favorite parts of life and leave out all the stuff that drags us down. At least I do. And then people see and read what's been going on in our life and think that everything around here is perfect. Just reading someone's blog... like mine... doesn't really give you an idea of what really goes on behind our white picket fence. It just keeps our good memories alive and warm inside us... and you.
I just purposely leave out all the hardships because it does no good to complain about them all the time. I do anyway, but this is my early New Year's Resolution: to not complain the crap of life IN MY HOME anymore than I do ON MY BLOG... so... I guess I'm getting myself an attitude change for Christmas! (Because I don't do a lot of complaining on the blog, right?? My kids don't need to hear it anymore than you want to.)
I'll tell you, though. Life really is tough. We are struggling right now just to make it through the days sometimes. Damian and I both wish we could spend more time together, but his residency schedule just doesn't allow that. Someday, right?? Someday. And this past week, in particular, has been a super rough one all around, filled with not much good news for any of us in this house. Damian's colleague (and friend) was murdered last weekend, my cousin was murdered this weekend (and though I wasn't close to her, I can still feel the pain and sting of the loss... and know that it must be unbearable for her family), I had the flu (and I mean... it was nasty), we can't seem to get everything done in the time we're allotted in the day, we've lost things, we've been particularly not nice to each other (and I mean all 5 of us are having a hard time)... it seems like it's all just in the toilet right now, but... you'll continue to see the good stuff because I let my kids look at the blog. It's our "photo album" since we don't have an updated one of those in our home. It's been over 7 years since I've actually printed out pictures and put them anywhere... it seems. Which is why I was going to try to get the blog ready as a book and print it out for my children to have something tangible to look through. (Because it's filled with their best memories... and every time they are here at the computer looking through the pictures and reading the captions I enter I find them giggling and talking to each other about that particular entry. It's heartwarming to watch!)
AND... we really do have MORE than enough to be GRATEFUL for. Maybe we should rename our blog to "The Things We're Thankful For"... that way I would really remember that complaining about the stuff of life won't help... it'll just make it worse. And there's no good memory in that, is there?
So... if you're reading this... please remind me not to complain. Remind me that I have LOTS to be grateful for. And continue to enjoy the best of our life!
9 comments:
You are awesome! I love your honesty. I am so so sorry for your losses this week. I am right there with you! I am grateful. Complaining is easy to get into a habit of.
I heard about the horrible happenings at the hospital and I am so sorry about your cousin. It sure reminds me that even though life is tough, things could be a lot worse.
I totally get how you are feeling with the residency and Damian's schedule. Really, I get it (everything except for the longer commute) and I SO WISH I could do something to make it easier. I wouldn't wish residency life on even my worst enemy.
Tandy, you have a gift for being real but not a Debbie downer. You are such an example to me of looking for the good in things.
So sorry about your cousin and Damaian's co-worker! That's just terrible!
And you don't complain on your blog, fyi. ;-)
You're so funny - you DONT complain in real life, I have heard you...
:o)
Love you and sorry for all your losses lately!
Just wanted to drop you a note and tell you we are thinking of you. Life is certainly crappy sometimes (I don't have a better nicer word for it). Hang in there. There is always a sunset and sunrise and they are beautiful no matter what and for some reason that thought seems to make me feel better.
I don't think I have ever heard you complain so this blog was a breath of fresh air...you are human!!;p or maybe I just complain too much!(I know, I know) That is a really good thought provoking testimonial about complaining. Thank you for the gentle reminder of what we can all strive to do less of!
& I'm sorry to hear about the horrible tragedies that friends & family are having to deal with, that really does just suck! I'm sorry
We're sorry to hear about everything that's going on right now. We love you guys and miss you lots! Hang in there.
What a nice close of the year blog entry, Tandy. Very positive blog about being "un positive." Ha! So sorry about your cousin and Damian's coworker. Horrible! Hope this next year will be a happy and healthy one for you and your family. Love, Aunt Tuny
This is so true. At one point, a few other mommy bloggers & I had a secret blog just for us. It was a safe place to vent our frustrations of being a mom...and a wife. It came to an end though when one of the husband's didn't appreciate his wife airing any dirty laundry about them. So, we all just keep it inside. I think complaining is good sometimes...we realize that we aren't the only ones facing struggles. Keep your chin up! You're an awesome wife, mom and friend!
Post a Comment