Thursday, January 5, 2012

Giving THANKS!!!

Well, obviously this was 24 November... THANKSGIVING!! We have made it our family tradition to crash in on Colleen's Thanksgiving tradition. I hope I actually never have to do it by myself! It's so much more fun to make fun stuff, be in charge of just some of the main dish stuff and a bunch of the appetizer stuff and STUFF and STUFF and STUFF myself until I feel like I want to pass out!!  Plus, it's usually warm enough to enjoy being outside, and Gma Pam comes... unless she's broken something ;), and we get to be around lots of the people we love, and we get to think of lots of the things we are grateful for, and... and... and...  We love it, and we're so grateful to John and Colleen for always so graciously hosting our wild bunch!

We start out with the appetizer table!  YUM!!  Notice the first people there belong to me??!!  Lexi and Braeden know exactly where to get the good stuff!

It's also the dessert table.  And my focus is on the food... not the hooligans in the background!  John makes the traditional cheese ball.  Colleen makes the best pumpkin pies.  My mom brought the mints and the cute centerpiece pumpkin to hold them.  And we brought fruits and veggies with dip, spinach dip with bread, toffee, fudge, deviled eggs, and fun stuff to dip in the chocolate fondue pot!!




Well... it's HALF healthy, right??  Lexi loves chocolate dipped strawberries... can you tell??

And this... this is what you can ALWAYS find them doing!  They get to take turns playing on the computer.  They don't get very much computer time at home, so this is a fun treat for them!
Chris, Jody, and Gma Pam enjoying the appetizers!

Damian making the green bean casserole.  He doesn't like me snapping pictures while he's trying to concentrate, I guess.  Grumpy Gus!

Jody's PERFECT berry pie!

A busy kitchen!  Why, oh why, does it take sooo long to get it all ready, and then such a little time to ingest and be done with it??

Playtime with Auntie Jody and Uncie Chris before dinner!  And all set to music being played by Lexi!!

Chris and Braeden!
YUM!!!  How many things can we fit in the oven, do you think??  LOTS!!  If you move the racks around enough!

A perfect turkey... very tender and juicy!

I love that my kids will play the piano wherever they find one!

Auntie Jody showing Braeden a few new tricks on how to tickle the ivories!

Poor Chris!  Look at Ella's face... I'd be exhausted, too!  Oh, wait... yes... I am usually exhausted.  Right. I just needed a VISUAL reminder of exactly WHY I'm exhausted at the end of almost every day! :o)

Everyone here is so talented!  We can all play a little something on the piano!!  Who knew??
I'm wondering just how hard it can be to figure out... all she's doing is pouring water for everyone.  Hmmm...

CHOW TIME!!

So, we brought the green bean casserole stuff, my mom got the ham, Leslie brought the mashed potatoes, John and Colleen do the stuffing, Amberie made a homemade cranberry sauce, she and Sam brought the yams, Colleen makes the rolls... am I missing anything?? Holy smokes... what a lot of food!


Yes... I did miss the centerpieces!  Provided by Leslie.  Gorgeous!  {Though I really must admit that I really... REALLY... loved last year's stuff!!!}

Say THANKFUL!!!  Around the table...  Ella, {me... just imagine me in my chair!}, Damian, Gma Pam, Jody, Chris, John, Josh, Leslie, Lexi, Amberie, Sam, Braeden, and Colleen!

Uncle John really does love Braeden.  It's become Braeden's tradition to get a whole leg just to himself.  And boy... does he LOVE it!

However... we really need to work on table manners.  This is not a good showing of such, but it really brings out how enjoyable it can be to eat!!

CRASH!  The turkey tryptophan is setting in!!  Good thing we planned to spend the night!  Lexi, Colleen, and Ella!

Braeden and Uncle John just enjoying whatever is on TV... and totally zoning out after several pieces of pumpkin pie!
What a fun day it was.  Better than anything was that DAMIAN was OFF and we got to enjoy him, too... well... while he wasn't sleeping!  He was totally zonked after dinner... like snoring on the floor in front of the TV.  So I graciously helped him get upstairs where he could snore in peace... and let the rest of us hear our own conversations!  Haha!
We are so grateful for our family and the time that we get to spend with them no matter how much or little that may be.  We are constantly reminded of the love that our Heavenly Father has for us by the people he lets us be surrounded by.  We are so grateful for our knowledge of Him, and our of Savior, and of their love for us.  Grateful for the gospel in our lives and the testimonies that we have.  May we ever find ourselves with more to give thanks for as each year passes!

No comments:

About Me

Crazy, stay-at-home mother of three; Alexa, Braeden, and Ella, and wife of Damian! We love life, although sometimes it's just hard to make it through one simple day. We all love each other... more than we can usually show or tell, and we love our friends and family very much! We LOVE the beach, having company, eating out (a rare treat now with three kids 8 and under), swimming, and playing outside!

Background