Sunday, March 20, 2011

Supermoon Night

Yesterday we were out and about after picking up Braeden from a birthday party when we noticed an EXTRA large moon rising.  I commented on it and had everyone LOOK!!  And then Lexi chimed in, as usual, with some interesting "fact" that she learned at school.  Said she, "It's the biggest the moon has been in 20 YEARS!!!"
Well, she was {almost} right!  It was indeed the closest it has been with just the right end facing the earth since 1993.  (It's actually oval shaped, so when the longest side is facing the earth just right, it is actually a little closer!)  We finished our errands and then swung home to grab the camera to see if we could get a good picture.  By then it was really dark, and my skills at photography need some serious work, but it was fun, nonetheless!  Lexi also took a few shots, but she ended up with a great big blur, 4 moons, 3 moons.... etc.  :o)  (Her skills need some fine tuning, as well!)
Hope you were able to see and enjoy it, too!
You might have to strain a little, but if you do look hard you can see some of the texture on the moon... aka. THE Man on the Moon!





I should probably also mention that Damian was able to wake himself on a post-call day and travel home last night.  It was kind of late, but the kids managed to swindle him into letting them watch a movie... which didn't end until like midnight!  Con artists!  That's what I'm raising!  ;o)  But it was fun to see their reaction when he walked up the stairs without them knowing that he was coming!  They so love him and are always excited to see him.  {Especially when he's on a rotation like this one where he's on a 30 hr. call twice a week with only 1 day off a week and he's living in a hotel in Orange working in the PICU at the Children's Hospital of Orange County.  It really stinks... for everyone!}

3 comments:

Linda Liebhardt said...

Mike and I saw that nice big full moon on our way home from St. George on Friday night. It was a clear and beautiful night. I didn't know anything factual about it, but I did comment on the "Nice big full moon tonight!" as we walked out of the temple and saw it. I'm usually aware of phases of the moon, but the full one that night caught me by surprise. What a NICE surprise!!

Donna said...

I even had to step outside Friday night to look at how bright the moon was. Very pretty!

Nick said...

Very impressive photo! The moon is very difficult to capture like that, so although you may say your skills need fine-tuning, I say you should be very pleased. Having an awesome camera helps, too.

About Me

Crazy, stay-at-home mother of three; Alexa, Braeden, and Ella, and wife of Damian! We love life, although sometimes it's just hard to make it through one simple day. We all love each other... more than we can usually show or tell, and we love our friends and family very much! We LOVE the beach, having company, eating out (a rare treat now with three kids 8 and under), swimming, and playing outside!

Background