Tuesday, December 22, 2009

He's HOME!!!

It seems like it's been SOOO much longer than a mere 7 months! It's just been painful... literally! But... we're so happy to have our Daddy back! I had a LOT of help from people with the photos. My mom, Tammy, Suzette, Heather... THANK YOU SO MUCH for helping us capture the moments and the happiness that we will never forget! And I had help painting signs, and making it through all the days of the deployment... especially from Vicky and Danielle! Thank you! It means so much to be surrounded by people who love and care for us! We love you back!
Damian convinced me to send the kids off to school so he could surprise them there... and I don't normally give in to his shenanigans, but since he had been gone, and it was his return, I gave in. I sent Lexi to 1st grade, and Braeden to his preschool, then headed out with Ella and my mom to pick him up on Camp Pendleton. I even got a new watch... that is more like a bracelet, since it didn't help me get there on time! Ha! All the way there, Ella was repeating, "Daddy home, Mommy??" And then when we got there, we were in a little panic because all we saw was a sea of Marines. And Ella was saying "One more Daddy... one more Daddy" as she was pointing to all the guys in uniform. Poor thing! But when we finally found him... it was so great to see his smiling face! I have to admit that our first embrace was bitter-sweet... ;) He was stinky from all the cigarette and cigar smoke from the other guys. Ick! And he felt so SMALL!!! He's lost 27 lbs. since he's been on the "Chasing the Taliban Around the Desert Diet" as he calls it! Toward the end of the deployment he had been working out 3 times a DAY!


Holding one of the signs that the kids made for him! Ella was having a hard time. Because a 2D picture or movie is just not the same as a real live Daddy. It scared her a little.

Whoa, Nellie! Look at all that gear! Yikes... and I was carrying the computer. And he had 3 HUGE containers shipped home. Hmmm... there goes my clean garage! ;)

Ella really wanted his gum... she just didn't want to take it from him.

So they picked their noses together! (Ella has a cold, and her nose is FULL of boogies!)
This is when he realizes that there is a surprise waiting for HIM when we got to Braeden's preschool! Kevin and Tammy got a small group of people there to welcome him home. They are just so nice and fun! I thought Kevin might be more excited about it than me at one point! :)
This is Braeden's face when he realizes who that is sitting in front of him! They had a little performance and they were all lined up just like Miss Tammy asked them to be. She has them wrapped around her little finger, and they only do what she says... so he wasn't sure he could break the rule and jump out of line to give his daddy a hug and welcome him home! It was priceless! You may have to watch this a couple of times, but just after he gets on his square and he looks up, he had to have a double-take! Priceless! And then he was just so happy that he almost couldn't sing the songs!





Measuring up to Dad! He's about yea high, now!

Oh, Lexi was so embarrassed! She told him at one point that she was just sweating! She hates having ALL eyes on her!
All her friends were so excited for her. We totally interrupted her class. They had sat down for story time when he snuck in behind her!




Our family is SOOOO uncooperative when it comes to pictures. We just can't seem to all look at the same place and smile at the same time. It's HOPELESS!


I'll tell you... we've had more pictures snapped of just he and I in the last few days than we have combined in the last few YEARS!!
Ella is still a little unsure... but it only took her a minute or two after we got home to warm up... and then not let go!

But she'll take a shoulder ride any day... any time!

This seems to be the only way we can all do the same thing at the same time... if we're being silly. I guess it tells the truth about us!



With all his gear, we didn't have room for car seats, so this is how Braeden rode home from the elementary school. Good thing it's just down the street, huh!??!

And Lexi rode on his lap!

And this is what he got to see on his way up the street. This is behind our house!


And this had fallen down, but it was on the wall as you come into our community!
Thanks to the Minor's for painting it. It said, "Thank you, and Welcome Home Doctor Damian!"
_________________________________________________

The next day we wasted no time in welcoming Damian's family and dressing them up with stickers!

And it's true... we're all a little crazy around here!

We made this Hand Tree for Eric. He's on his mission in the D.C. are and we sent him a package and made him this card.

He even fired up his motorcycle and took it for a spin. Then took Lexi...

... and me and Ella around the neighborhood.

Braeden was a little busy with the neighbor kids to go for a ride!
___________________________________________________
Then Saturday we headed up to Huntington Beach for a Christmas party. Damian's mom's, mom's family has a get-together every year! Fun stuff!
Avery and Lexi. About this... it's sooo sad. We live in the same town and rarely ever see each other at our houses, but run into each other at Disneyland, the store, baseball sign-ups, etc. It's a sad state of affairs!

Devin and Braeden doing something they shouldn't on the stairs!

Silly boys!

It takes Ella almost as long as we're anywhere to warm up, and then she doesn't want to leave. Stinker!

Steven, Aunt Tuny, and Damian... with a crazy face!

Me and Suzy... who is also at fault for us not seeing each other! Ha! J/K We seriously live less than 10 mins. from each other. We WILL be hanging out more!
A mother/son moment.


Four generations! Lexi, Damian, Gpa Mike, and Great-Gma Liebhardt.

The same only with Braeden.
And with Ella... who is smiling AND looking at the camera! Yay!

Welcome Home, Daddy! We missed you so much, and hope we don't overwhelm you with our craziness! We love you, and are so grateful for your service to your family and your country!

13 comments:

Jessica said...

I just balled my eyes out reading your post and seeing your pictures. Thank you for sharing them. Damian you are so stinkin' skinny I barely recognized you. :)

Lindsay said...

I couldn't stop crying reading your post. What a happy, happy day to have him back safely. So glad you got your Christmas early.

Linda Liebhardt said...

Yeah, I think the "HAPPY" shows through loud and clear. Thanks for getting this posted. !!

Cami said...

Oh Tandy!
That is so awesome! I even cried like everyone else. That is the best thing you could ask for this Christmas. He looks good. Thank you Damian for your service! SO glad you are reunited as a family and that Heavenly Father watched over you while you were apart from each other.

Andrews Family said...

Okay...I am sitting here balling my eyes out...I can barely even see the computer screen. I am soooooooooooooooo happy for you guys! I'm glad that he's home and well! What a fabulous Christmas present! Enjoy your week! Welcome home Damian! Thanks for your service!!!!

Suzanne said...

Great pics (with the exception of me in my favorite shirt - ha). I WILL NOT take the blame on us not getting together more. It's 100% your fault. :-) After Christmas, if nothing else, we have to get the girls together for a playdate. But it would be more fun to have you over for dinner.

Lisa & Aukuso said...

I love that you "gave into his shenanigans." They will remember that forever! Welcome Home D!

M.S. said...

I'm glad I wasn't the only one crying when I saw all these photos! I'm glad he is home too. You guys look, and always have, so good together! Your family is just beautiful! Merry Christmas!

Kim said...

I'm so happy for you. I don't think I could do what you have done for the past 6 months or so. Tell your husband how greatly we are for what he has done. Have a Merry Christmas.

Carolee said...

I am so happy for your family!!

Corbin and Amy said...

I started crying when I read your post!! OMIGOODNESS! I'm so glad he is home!! What a wonderful Christmas gift! What great pictures. You really captured some amazing memories!

The Finks said...

Oh Tandy I am soo excited for you guys! He looks great and you all look so happy I just love you guys muah!

Brett said...

I am so happy you guys are reunited. What a happy happy time. Brett leaves for a month this week, but when he gets back in Feb. we will need to get together.
You and Damion both look so good. I hope you guys had a good Christmas. Happy New Year. Loves, Kami

About Me

Crazy, stay-at-home mother of three; Alexa, Braeden, and Ella, and wife of Damian! We love life, although sometimes it's just hard to make it through one simple day. We all love each other... more than we can usually show or tell, and we love our friends and family very much! We LOVE the beach, having company, eating out (a rare treat now with three kids 8 and under), swimming, and playing outside!

Background